Sunday, October 3, 2010

Stranger in a strangeland

It's not all fun and Fosters all the time... or... going from someone to no one. I don't mean that in a poor me, feel so bad for me I live in Australia kinda way. There are so many great things about being here but I am serious, I have gone from someone to no one in just a few short weeks. I will illustrate this with a few bummer stories then move on, no one wants to read depressing news we all have enough of it we do not need anyone else's right? This all happened in a few hours time. I applied for a cell phone then did some shopping at my local Woolies(grocery) while I waited to see if I was approved. (as most know I would rather be doing one thousand different things than grocery shopping, made only worse by having to shop in a strange store with some strange stuff for sale with 4wd carts) While checking out of Woolies the cow cashier with a Andrew Ridgley Wham lesi kinda haircut asked if I could open up all of my bags, including the kids Primrose Backpack, was I sure I did not have anymore merchandise in my pram? Well, no, do you see me? There are toys everywhere I am a little bit of a disaster, I would rather have them in a cart but it is an act of "parliament" to get a double cart up here. So, no woman I am never sure of anything except for I AM NOT GOING DOWN FOR STEALING GROCERIES! Then I go to pay with credit card and she triple triple checks my signature and asks me if I was sure that was the card I paid with? and could I show her just one more time she says loudly and in front of the other 20 people in line. I left there shaking I was so humiliated. THEEEEEEEEEN....I go back to my local Telstra store to be informed I can not get a phone b/c my occupation as Mom is apparently not a very financially lucrative position. Shut up, I sooo thought I was getting rich on this one. But...here is the good news, I can just ask my husband to get me a phone, the man says as he pats my hand. Just tell him the phone you want and have him get it. OHHHHHHH!!! You can imagine how this went down. Since I kinda learned my lesson about public displays of emotion at the Mackers I toned it down and just stormed out, with huff and flourish. This time I cried in my car as to not offend any of their British sensibilities. Pair this with the difficulty/seeming inability to get a car loan and the difficult time getting a bank account and you have a bit of a black streak. Never fear it is getting better and it will all work out. We have a bank account, my man says I can have a phone, we may have car financing and most importantly my hair has never and will never look like the Woolies cashier! 

No comments:

Post a Comment