Thursday, October 7, 2010

Your never too young for rum cake! Don't let the division of child welfare tell you any different!

I felt like we had just moved here when I realized the boy's second birthday was quickly approaching. I had barely gotten my Aussie sealegs when I realized I better get organized if this is going to be a respectable 2 y.o bday! So one of the makings of a great 2 y.o bday is a fun cake with their favorite character...THOMAS! So I asked around in the mall who makes kid's bday cakes, I was referred to Michel's (say Michelle). I enquired with the nice young girl at Michel's about cakes, she informed me in English as a second language that my options were a sponge cake with fresh cream and jam or a blah blah blah cake. Well, how yummy does fresh cream and jam sound? ick not at all to me! Sounds old and tea roomish or baby showerish. I am of the camp it is not dessert unless it has chocolate! Also blah blah blah cake was more expensive so it must be better, right? I asked her to say it again and again but I still could not understand her so I said fine lets get that blah blah blah cake. I want it to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY CARSON AND COLIN, ohhhh she says huh? you better write down, apparently my accent was too much too bear. So I write it down, order my blah blah blah cake, bribe the kids with some flaky cheesy bread, buy 2 #2 candles, pay and off we go (to pump coins in the ride on Thomas on the first floor!) Later on that night I am reading the brochure and I notice they have a specialty cake with rum a GATEUX, naaahhh that sounds nothing like what she was saying, and besides who would let me order a kids cake with rum, how dumb! October 3 rolls around we light candles, say happy to you dig into to our cake and Mike looks at me somewhat disapprovingly, but to his credit more confused than disapproving and asks.."does this cake have alcohol in it?" NO! Of course not what kind of Mother do you think....take a bite...why yes it does! I believe this is the Gateux Cake with rum complete with Thomas the Train Decoration! This is the only instance where I have ever been glad I had no friends or family around to celebrate/be horrified that I fed their kids rum at my kids 2 y.o happy to you party. The shame! What did the cake maker think of me? What does my husband think of me? Colin loved it, but since he was driving we held him to one piece. I keep telling myself it must have been baked in so the alcohol burned off, right?
Anyway, despite the major parenting misstep, I am sure the Gmas are horrified right now, and have both booked tickets to come over here and make sure I don't mess the kids up too much, it was a great 2 y.o happy to you! The boys first boat/ferry ride ever and it was across Sydney Harbor to Taronga Zoo where we rode the Sky Safari 3 times! Colin would have ridden all day, he loved it and tried to stay on despite being pulled off by Mommy and the nice man operating the Sky Safari. He has asked every time we have been previously to ride but it never worked out...I ride I ride I ride he says and points adamantly, finally little man got to ride! The zoo was empty b/c of a light on and off rain and the footy finals so it was perfect we could see everything. I think the animals also like it when there are not as many looky loos, they were all out and frolicking, except the koalas, they are always snoozing!

We got the boys a Thomas The Tank Engine Rail set and they love it! ( we also got each one of them their own prezzy that they did not have to share, a tow truck, we should have saved our $ for more Thomas) They wake up talking about it and go to bed talking about it. They talk about it at the park, in the car, whatever they are doing, they are talking about Thomas and wishing they were back with Thomas. Especially Carson, he is completely and totally obsessed! This is the first gift occasion where they have been really cognisant of getting presents. Aunts and Uncles have sent presents and that is so fun for the boys to get stuff in the mail, they know it is for them and they scream "what is it open dis open dis open dis."





Add caption

Sky Safari

Car is almost as tall as the world's tallest penguin!

No comments:

Post a Comment