Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Powerhouse Museum, Meat Pies and lucky to be alive meal

Theeee best museum ever! It is a pretty tough task to create a museum where EVERYONE has a great time. The Powerhouse Museum delivered. It is officially a science and design museum, but unofficially it is AWESOME! I get a bad rap from my family of not liking museums, well yeah I do not like boring museums, where you walk around with your hands behind your back nodding in quiet appreciation, those have their place but I can only do about an hour. At The Powerhouse the kids could touch just about anything although it is not specifically a kids museum. It was only $10 for each adult, kids under 4 free, a bargain for Sydney attractions. We stayed 5 hours and shut the place down at 5!

A few highlights:
1. 80's exhibit. Oh yeah! Take me back to the glory days of BIG HAIR, spandex, hammer pants and Z Cavaricci's baby! They had all kinds of treasures, pink boom boxes, Nintendo's, Teddy Ruxpins, Cabbage Patch kids, Barbie and the Rockers-"their dressing up their totally in the groooove," shoulder pads galore. Medor's, Montaigne's and all other parents stuck with their kids junk,  call the Smithsonian you have an exhibit just waiting in your attic to be displayed at a museum somewhere! The boys favorite was a big giant white room where they had club style lights and very loud music...when we were in there it was Salt n Peppa Push It...ohh baby baby! If it was just me and that white box I would have ripped it up! I coulda showed the boys what dancin was all 'bout. They had a giant digital Rubics cube which the boys liked touching and trying to move the colors. A nine y.o girl came by and corrected me and said "oh, they only move on that side" what? Girl, puhlease, doncha know I invented peeling the stickers of my rubics cube and putting them back on to make it look like I  am smart?
2. Zoe's House A "house" under construction for kids 3-6, this is where having kids who rock the growth chart is really great, we just sailed right in like we were 3! They have a track with rail cars they could fill up with "bricks" and move around. They have cranes, pulleys all kinds of fun. The boys played great with all the big kids, you would never know they used a fake id to get in.
3. Climb on full size train which Carson was convinced was the REAL THOMAS!
4. A kid music area, kid virtual techie area, playground, toy train area, I could go on but you must come visit so I can show you!

This place is great!

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/

Meat Pies- Must be an acquired taste. They are decidedly Aussie, I see them everywhere and was curious. So, I tried a meat pie at a place where people were lined up to get them, I thought that was a good first step. I was not sure what kind to get but I was certain I would not like the 10-12 varieties of pies with the term "mushy peas" in the description. Seriously, mushy peas. Is this their best selling feature. I got a lean beef curry pie and threw it away as soon as I was out of sight of the nice ladies who sold it to me. Don't want em saying told ya so ya shulda gotten the mushy pea one, those are the good ones! Doncha know?

ChinaTown- Great fun bustling part of town with wild markets and wildly fresh and diverse treats. We walked around the same block 4 times looking for the lace in our book Xic Lan, which is now a Chinese version of Dungeons and Dragons or Warcraft "fantasy gaming" palace of dork. So we went to a place that was packed with locals, Pho Pasteur. This should have been an alert to me, any restaurant referencing the great Louis Pasteur in their name can not be good for your health. We forged ahead anyway, we knew the kids would not be up for an exotic dining experience so on the way we picked them up a few Bondi Nuggets at OPorto (our beachy version on chik fil a) the nice man at the restaurant informed us that they usually do not allow food to be brought in, but it is OK as long as we clean up our trash. Yes, yes, let me just order up some piping hot Pho soup for the boys, chopsticks too please, that would be hilarious. Colin would make him wish he had chicken nuggets at the ready.

 In case you were not obsessed with LP, as I was as a kid, here is a blurb:


The French chemist and biologist Louis Pasteur is famous for his germ theory and for the development of vaccines. He made major contributions to chemistry, medicine, and industry. His discovery that diseases are spread by microbes, which are living organisms—bacteria and viruses—that are invisible to the eye, saved countless lives all over the world.


Ah yes bacteria that you can not see! A key factor when dining. It did not seem bad until the end of the meal when I got up to go to the potty and saw the kitchen. The food was OK. I have had better in Denver I have to say. But the experience was one in a million, and it keeps you on your toes wondering if/when food poisoning will set in and 72 hours later we are still alive, no Delhi Belly as they call it here. 


Zoe's house!

Twingenuity. Col threw a fit b/c he did not want to wear the vest. Carson was worried that they would be kicked out without the vest, so he made him wear his vest. Truly he tracked him down with his vest and told him to wear it. He succeeded where Mike and I failed. I understand costuming concerns. I quit Brownies at age 6 b/c I hated the uniforms, the brown socks with orange tassels specifically.  
Carson really enjoys getting his picture taken and asked us to take it with the "Thomas." again and again and "gain, gain gain gain daddy" In this particular shot after I took his pic, he continued to pose for the cute young Asian couple on a date who happened to be taking a pic of the train, not Carson. Carson was pretty sure they wanted him in the shot so he continued to pose and would not move when we encouraged him to step away, NO CHEESE he said and pointed to them, they were polite enough just to laugh and not demand he get out of their pic. To his defense, the boys have been photographed and videotaped by strangers about 8-10 times since we have been here and the paparazzi are usually Asian. So, he figured he would just get on with it and pose to not make it awkward for anyone.


Paddy's Market Chinatown, we did not brave it




1 comment: