Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Hooray for physical fitness!!!

I am so behind on blogging which is probably no matter since I have talked to my Mom and Sally at length and I think they may be my only faithful, but anyway...my Dad or Gil maybe interested :) The boys started swim lessons last Wednesday at the Ryde Athletic Club. It hosted some portion of the Sydney Olympics so it is a pretty nice center. Learning pool, MANY lap pools,  and they have lots of stuff the kids like, a kids slide, a big duck that shoots water, a lobster shower, no doubt all parts of the original Olympic creation.! (and now for Olympic Lobster Spray...the favorite is Colin Medor he has been training vigorously in the big boy shower to prepare for this moment)
They did as well as to be expected at swimming, I have not enrolled us in the JR Olympic team just yet, but we show promise in the bubble blowing event. Their instructors name is Titik and she sings nursery rhymes that sound familiar but have really different words, so I hum along b/c I never know when one of the crazy words will hit, and sometimes I sing loudly on accident and she looks at me like I am not so smart.
At this age you still get in the water with them but she is confident that in a few weeks they will not need me, I know I will be suited up until December. Not that I mind, but I realized I must hover because my kids do not think they can have fun without me. Carson even pulls me into things like slides and tunnels I am way too big for. I will soak it up for now as I know soon I will hear "go away MOMMY!" Here is an odd thing about Sydney SAHM, they do not like to be involved in anything that resembles play with their children. I have witnessed this at parks, the pool, everywhere, they kinda hang back with a friend or two and check out of the scene with a cappuccino or two. There are Moms at the pool with kids who are clearly not capable swimmers, the kids are off by their non swimming drowning risk selves and the Moms are dressed in street clothes.  Two ladies had their older boys about 4 y.o swimming while they sat and drank coffee with their 2 y.o in the pram crying to get in the water. They finally let the younger ones in but never suited up themselves. I have heard kids begging for the Moms to play and the moms act deaf. It is odd to me, the only time you see Moms playing is on the weekends and I have to assume these are working moms who miss the time with their kids. To be a working Mom here requires you make a large sum of $, daycare is about $100/day per child so the choice to stay home may not have been a choice at all? Who knows why these Moms are so checked out? Who am I to judge? Anyway, Weds at the center was so quiet only the kiddos doing lessons and some Grandmas enjoying water aerobics and coffee club. We went back Friday, the kids had been begging since we got home Wednesday, Friday was a much different story. There were about 1000(I am not exaggerating at all) school aged boys having a fun old fashioned field day. This was complete with tug of war, water polo-ish games and all around fun. These kids were playing so hard and having a ball. All the boys participated, no one went in a corner to rebel and not play and all of the boys were fit. There were a few chubby middle schoolers but I think that is the age and growth stage. I wish I could have taken a pic, but I would have looked like a complete extreme illegal cougar. I think my only point for mentioning this is we can yammer on all day about why America is fat, it could be alot of things but if our kids loved to and were encouraged to and felt safe to play I know it could cure most of the problem. So hooray for physical fitness! One point for OZ.

No comments:

Post a Comment