Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Your OK, I am NOT OK

I think this was rhetoric from some 80's self help. But this refrain keeps going through my mind. I am clearly the problem, I have been pointing fingers when I should have been looking in the mirror! I mentioned in the previous post that my Dad had made tons of friends at the Hotel Mosman. I placated myself by brushing it off as casual drinking buddies, something that was not "real." Well, I have returned from a  week long vacation to find that both my Mom and Dad have made many friends and they extend well beyond the magical world of HM.

In no particular order are all of the people they know well after less than three weeks here: (keep in mind my Dad was "quarantined in posturing" for the first week and a half)
(all of these people have names that are known to P&B but since I am clearly the social moron of the fam, I do not know them)
The fishman- they already liked him, and chatted with him about India and the States, by accident they undercharged his card by $30 today and he returned to right the wrong, now he is practically immortal!
The drycleaner, they love my dad, they shout from the store and holler and wave as he goes by
The bakery owner(they got free hot cross buns today, free, I almost fell over!)
A mum at McD's who invited us(my Mom and the boys) to a few activities
They ran into a "friend" at the store today, yes they ran into someone they know after just three weeks!
and...
The new bus driver doing the Zoo route and his training supervisor

I have never been a lover of small talk, and chit chat, in fact I have "stranger danger" and loathe talking to someone if there is no chance I will ever see them again. The word "networking" makes me cold sweat! But one thing is painfully obvious, I need to pull it together, starting tomorrow!  I am vowing to always ask myself WWP&BD?

3 comments:

  1. That's pretty impressive! I want to meet them. I think I saw them walking the boys down the hill last week and wanted to shout to them out my car window. Maybe I should have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive Indeed!!!

    I have seen them many a mornings walking to and fro....Like Jenny - I also wanted to shout at them from the car as I drove by or was walking on the opposite side of the sidewalk. However, I deemed it socially inappropriate - to chase after them down Military Rd - hollering Big Daddy & MoMo - how are you? I know your daughter Allison - are you finding everything alright?

    I am bummed - Sounds like I missed out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe this is why we became friends. :) I'm loving this. Back to reading...

    ReplyDelete