Wednesday, April 20, 2011

$200 and I have to cook it myself?

We hit the Oaks this Saturday night for a little "pre-game activity" (drinks before dinner). We had so much fun sitting under the big Oak outside and soaking up giant Hoegarden Beers that we decided to go back Sunday night for dinner. The Oaks has many different areas to amuse yourself in, the outdoor beer garden, pizzeria, a 1930's lounge, a cocktail bar, a sports bar, and the restaurant. One of us, (male) thought it would be so cool to visit the restaurant and do the very Aussie style thing and cook your own steak on the giant grills. The females were of the opinion, if we put on make up and do our hair, someone else better be doing the cooking.  It should be mentioned that you can go to many of the "hotels" here and CYO, cook your own. After participating in the CYO obsession I DO NOT GET IT! Even though the men cooked, it was still a production and not relaxing or enjoyable in my opinion. At least half the table is up at any given time, ordering food, ordering drinks, gathering cutlery, plates etc, then cooking, then occasionally if more attention was paid to the sports on TV or male camaraderie there was some recooking. Minus the kids food $15, we spent $185 and I felt like I was at a YMCA campout or youth hostel(not that I have spent much time in either). That being said, I love the Oaks for drinks, and the food they cook for you is fantastic. I ordered mussels cooked by a "professional" i.e someone other than my family, they were to die for and such a large serve that two people could have had it as their complete meal. 
Maybe it was the beer talking when we decided to go back for a second night, Cheers to the Party!

Obscured view of the inside grill where all of the CYO fun happens

1 comment:

  1. Great outdoor patio under the "oaks" for drinks!! As for "CYO", just do it at home even if a member of your party "volunteers" to cook!

    ReplyDelete