Friday, April 22, 2011

One man's dim sum is another man's yum cha

 We happened to be sightseeing in Chinatown/Darling Harbor on a Sunday so we seized the opportunity to indulge in yum cha (dim sum in the States). To me this is one of the greatest ways for a group to dine out together. There is constant activity, you get to try new things, the kids are entertained by the passing of carts and the flurry of bamboo baskets. It promotes conversation as you discuss, what you are eating(if anyone actually knows) what you liked, loved, hated and you do not have to decide your entire culinary fate in one step and you get to see everything before you order it. Think how many meals gone wrong this would have saved you and how many you would have done differently had you know what the actual meal looked like vs. what was on the menu. You can move through cravings and whims like a two year old. I want that and that and that and poof instant gratification. We went to a decent restaurant, Emperor's Garden. I am sure there are way better but this is where we ended up and we had a great time! I attached a link to a  list of SMH top ten, this way next time I am in the yum cha state of mind I will be in the know! One thing is confounding to me, if it is a "Chinese word/phrase" then why is it different in US English vs. Aussie English?

I smuggled nuggets in, there was no need as he was happily shoveling down green beans. On second thought, between two children we managed to annihilate 16 nuggets, 1/2 family serve of green beans, 1/2 bowl of rice. This is after banana rama mania, where just a half hour earlier they devoured 8 small bananas. Be afraid, be very afraid when you invite us to dinner!

                                                                              
CH attempts to "hug it out"
                                   
Someone has to protect the delicious little Emperor's Puffs at Emperor's Garden Cake and Pastry Shop! At just $1 for 4 tasty hot and now custard buns this could get ugly! 



2 comments:

  1. We are Yum Cha connoisseurs, and I've had a blog post reviewing some of favorite places in my drafts for months-- I need to get on that!

    ReplyDelete