Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Sydney Jewish Museum

I have struggled to put this post together because it is very heavy on my heart. I seem to do better writing about silly, funny, and absurd things that don't matter much than really tough serious and emotional things. A few weeks ago while on the Hop On Hop Off tour with my parents we "hopped off" at The Sydney Jewish Museum. This museum is a must do. The unique part of this museum is that all of the tour guides are survivors of the Holocaust. I found this to be an extremely moving experience. I could not pull myself away from our guide. She gave factual information and then she told her personal story.  I had a hard time holding back my emotions listening to her.  I have visited the Holocaust Museum in DC and although the Sydney Museum is tiny in comparison, the opportunity to stand in front of a survivor and have them tell you about what you are seeing in the displays and what they actually saw and experienced is immeasurable, it is priceless. I went without my children and will not take them for many years. When they are mature enough I feel like this is a message they must hear.

http://www.sydneyjewishmuseum.com.au/Home/default.aspx

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I didn't even know there was a Jewish museum in Sydney. Would it be appropriate for an 8 year old?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was certainly a touching and emotional experience. Our guide, whom I'm sure has given many tours, carried a tissue and when she told her personal story, her voice was quivering and you could feel the emotion pouring out.

    ReplyDelete