Friday, April 29, 2011

Here Comes Peter Cottontail...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Easter! As a Christian, it is the GREATEST holiday. Period. 

As a Mom it is also a super fun holiday. There are things to do together and little presents and surprises to give, and chances to see their little faces light up with excitement. Unlike Christmas there are no pressures or expectations on presents and at this age the amount of presents to give at Easter are the perfect amount for their attention span!


Painting eggs. I bought the kit from Bed, Bath and Table. The boys really liked this! For me, it was more fun than dying brown eggs. Although, the boys were pretty impressed with their dyed eggs.

We were lucky enough to get our hands on two imported PAAS kits. Aussies do not dye eggs.  Silly me, I tried to explain the concept of dying boiled eggs to Aussies. "So you boil eggs and you dye them and you hide them, and you also get plastic eggs and fill them with treats, like other small chocolate eggs..." With my weak explanation, I felt like I disgraced Easter.

Dying brown eggs is hard, I used our two kits to create a double strength dye, but our eggs were still sad! 

Hooray for chocolate bunny bottoms and self made baskets!

The Easter Bunny stopped in, ate our carrots, hid our double dye and choco eggs and left some cool stuff! Thankfully, the Easter candy selection is really limited so I was not too tempted to eat out of the kids baskets. It is mainly just hollow chocolate, even as a kid hollow chocolate bummed me out. No Reeses(this alone saved me 5 lbs), no jelly beans(although I heard these can be found in the dried fruit section of Franklins, ah yes the dried fruit section, of course), no Robins Eggs-oh Robins Eggs you little temptress(another 8 lbs saved), and...no Peeps. Thanks to a very sweet friend I did get to partake in the time honored tradition of eating so many peeps that I was high as a kite for a few glorious minutes and then as every over Peeper knows, the low was really low.  

He could care less about chocolate. He gave me a piece back today out of his snack and said "take it, I don't wan it, oh boy, I have raisins too!"

Just like Mama and Daddy he is cursed with a sweet tooth!

I wonder, if left unchecked, how much chocolate would he eat? During the egg hunt he let CH do the work to find all of the eggs and then while CH was distracted, CM "divided" them, putting ALL of the boiled eggs in CH's basket and ALL of the chocolate ones in his own basket. Diabolical. 

These are the only baskets I could find. They were at a "discount" store. I almost had to put our loot in pink bags. I was so happy to find these! Last year, I would have been mortified to bring these to the neighborhood egg hunt. Apparently, baskets are not so cool here.

We were invited to our first gathering at an Australian's House, we spent most of our time on their trampoline. I tried 'splainin Peeps to the Aussies and they looked at me like I was explaining how we Americans really enjoy eating dog poo at Easter.  


Egg Hunt Round 2. You gotta be fast if you want anything besides boiled eggs!

VICTORY! MORE CHOCOLATE!

"Look at my tummy, do I look fat? I have had 2 eggs, 1 bunny, one piece of Hannah's cake, one bunny merengue...can you tell?"

1 comment:

  1. Love all the Easter pictures. Just wondering about the eggs...do they sell white eggs in AU? I don't think I saw any while I was there. Anyway, Colin is right about eggs...chocolate ones are WAY better than the cooked, dyed ones. Momo loves chocolate. I love the pic where he is showing the guy his tummy.

    ReplyDelete