Friday, April 8, 2011

And the "eyes" have it!

Detached retina


To everyone’s delight Momo and Big Daddy arrived Saturday March 26. On Sunday while out to lunch at the Manly Wharf Hotel BD said, “Is my eye swollen, I can see these spots under my eye, it is like I can see my skin or something in my vision?” Monday morning at 5am he knew something was wrong and was on the phone to his Dr in the States. Monday 8:30 am we were at an Opthamologist. By 11:30 am we were downtown at the Sydney Eye Hospital being informed by Dr. Cheng(who is a wonderful amazing Dr.) of the emergency surgery required to repair a detached retina, if a detached retina is ignored it can lead to blindness within 24-72 hours. From what I have learned, a detached retina is like wallpaper that is starting to peel off the wall so the Dr. inserts a gas bubble to push the “wallpaper” back into place. The really tough part comes after surgery and that is called “posturing.” Following the surgery BD was instructed to be face down for 22 of 24 hrs in the day for the next 3 days. Think seated massage chair, no masseuse. The gas bubble also rules air travel out for a duration of time. Lucky for us, they will extend their trip. Hopefully, they can do the sightseeing they have missed out on while "busy" posturing. 
I know I have railed against socialized medicine in OZ but this experience was so different. Perhaps for emergent care things are different. Perhaps it is as simple as the individuals who were involved are extraordinary, caring, compassionate and professional. Whatever the reason I am thunderstruck by the contrast. I can not sing the praises of Dr. Cheng and his entire staff enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment