Thursday, June 9, 2011

Green Chartreuse

Chartreuse verteIsn't Green Chartreuse tautolgy (add tautolgy to the list of things I just learnt of, e.g of tautology, very unique, PIN Number, joint cooperation, etc)? Nope, it is not tautology it is in fact an incredibly delicious alcohol that I just had for the first time at Low 302 in Surry Hills. In the past I would say, "I discovered great this blah blah blah." But after being called Christopher Columbus, I have dropped that phraseology.

Low 302 describes itself as: A comfortable, cozy and welcoming Cocktail Bar & Restaurant. (Atmospheric comfort by means of soft lounges, low lights, entertaining music and fresh food in combination with excellent drinks & cocktails). I agree with all of the above! We had great service here. Really. Great. Service. I know, I know, it sounds far fetched to have all of this great service in Sydney but it is true...don't call it a comeback! 


We had a cocktail that I am still thinking/fantasizing about and a liquor that I had to look up straight away! Green Chartreuse. The drink is the Vodka Thing: it is like a mojito, no rum, vodka instead, sparkling wine and dry ginger instead of club soda and Green Chartreuse. I wish I had the words to describe how light and refreshing and special this made the cocktail and exactly how it changed the drink. I think I may need to have it again, just for research sake! What the experts on the web say: Proprietary potent classic French high proof multi-herbal monastic liqueur of the green variety. Only three Carthusian monks know the formula of 130 herbs and flowers for the 110 proof Chartreuse at any given time. It is still produced today (now in Voiron) on monastery property as it has been since 1764. It was spawned by the more concentrated and intense Elixir Vegetal, and has itself since spawned a yellow variety (in 1838). Called for in many cocktails, notably the Widow's Kiss. 


I will say, in the light of a 5:30 pm first cocktail it looks like it could use a little loofah on the furnishings, but that is being very very nit picky. Oh, and they charged me $24 for a dirty martini that was not so good. They justified the cost saying it was 2 shots. OK. Whatevah! Nonetheless, I do not have the patience to try and duplicate their precise cocktail engineering work so I will be back very soon for that thing, that thing...that Vodka Thing. 





No comments:

Post a Comment