Monday, June 13, 2011

Ace in the Hole or Stupid Stupid Mermaids!

He won't let us get near his face so there is a bit of
"chockit" on the right and chin
It turns out a baby with a bloody lip is the ace in the hole that trumps all other patients waiting at the only medical practice within 15km that is still open at 1:30pm on a Sunday on a holiday weekend.

We were getting ready to leave the very boring and very small so glad I did not pay $50 for my family to get in Manly Aquarium when the boys insisted on going upstairs where the Mermaid Show had just ended. Apparently, the mermaids like to party and were splashing around wildly as the floor was wet and slick, which we realized too late. (I will not get into how much I hate hate hate centurions, anyway) CH slipped and bumped his bottom but was no worse for the wear. Not a minute later CM slipped, fell forward and caught the corner of a wooden bench with his mouth and cheek. Blood blood and more blood cam rushing out. He was screaming, I was terrified and panicked, he fell right in front of me, I saw the whole thing happen but I could do nothing to stop it.  Plus I could not get the bleeding under control to even see where it was coming from. Some nice ladies kept handing me wipes and offering medical advice in very broken English that I could not hear over the screaming. Something about sticking toilet paper to it, I think, then they had me convinced a piece of lettuce on the ground was a tooth, not really helping me and my panic. One other lady walked by and said "holy sh*****t... can we help?" Once we saw the cut we thought stitches and were off to the car, in the rain, up 1000 slick steps, to hit the nearest hospital. Then like magic, the fountain of hemoglobin turned off. I called our Dr., they were closing and they recommend The Warringah Mall Medical Center.

We walked in and I thought Sh&^, we are going to be here until dinner. There were probably 50 people waiting, there were broken bones, black eyes, and all kinds of crazy. I had barely put my credit card away when we were told to follow/sprint behind the Dr. to the back. Even when CH broke his arm we were not back that quick. So, I said we followed the Dr back, I could not be 100% certain this man was indeed a Dr., he could have just as easily have been the curmudgeonly host/owner at your local favorite restaurant, that you put up with just because the food is so good. Same deal, we put up with him because he was the only man outside a hospital ER that had access to purple facial superglue on a Sunday afternoon. When we asked about after care, like if he could get it wet, should we use a triple antibiotic, clean it, etc? He replied..."hmm..??? maybe just no hot tea." "What? No hot tea? How will my two and a half year old wake up and start his day without a cuppa Earl Grey? This is madness, Dr.!"

He is doing great today. A little swollen and bruised, and a little grouchier at times than usual, yelling at a group of pretty ladies on the crowded monorail to not hold "his handle" and telling me to not sit on "his seat."(debatable whether we can blame the ouchy for his grouchy).

This little incident made me realize I need to toughen up and get my shiz together. I am the Mom of two very active boys and I let a fountain of blood paralyze me. I am kidding myself if I think that is the worst I am going to see, I pray it is. I pray for their safety continuously. But, I need to be prepared. A friend took a class that told her to take Saran Wrap everywhere, that would have totally not helped at all, but a little knowledge would have.

1 comment: