Monday, January 17, 2011

"I personally think he may have gone a bit overboard."

contactThe guide so Britishly understated at the Leura Toy and Railway Museum. Oh, do ya now? You think a 8000 sq ft mansion packed with toys and 12 surrounding acres filled with train stuff is going overboard? Hmmm...Someone call Imelda Marcos and inform her she in fact did not go overboard in comparison. This is the new definition of overboard, she is off the hook! He also then began to tell me delightful tales of his own collection of blah blah blah toy train and blah blah blah other model train and on and on...I escaped quickly as I felt a little bit like I was a at a treky convention hearing a secret language. Despite that, this was one of the craziest coolest places I have ever been. I had no expectations except that my kids will probably like this so lets stop and we all ended up loving it. When I say this man privately collected every known and unknown toy. I mean EVERY SINGLE TOY! He had things from antique dolls to Barbie to Star Wars to tin toys to an entire exact historically accurate reproduction of a British Durbur in India. 

You could not take pics inside but you will just have to trust me that there is no way your brain can even comprehend the number of items that were in this "summer home." It was a private residence until 25 years ago!!! I have no idea where the people would have stayed? In the Barbie Dream House? In the replica train station? In the replica Matterhorn? Cuz there was surely no room at the inn for anyone! I am adding this to my favorite things tours. Take note Oprah!



Inside were trains and train stuff and like 100,000 German army men

You thought I was joking about having a Matterhorn?


artsy huh?

Giant Giant Giant train set, multiple trains/tracks/villages everything you can think of.











1 comment:

  1. Well, now that you've talked it up so much I think we might have to check this place out when we are in the Blue Mtns next weekend.

    ReplyDelete