Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Of all the fish in the sea...

I could go on and on about things I miss from The Promise Land. If you have read any US expat blogs the list would read about the same as others. This post is dedicated to a little thing that I never knew/thought I could love in OZ. There are the obvious things to love, the weather, the beauty, the beaches blah blah blah, here is the real deal...Canned tuna in wild flavors! The first time I saw this on the shelf I almost threw up in my mouth. They come in flavors like Mild Indian Curry, Mango Chili, Basil and Oil, and Corn and Mayonnaise (I am not brave enough to try that nonsense, but I bet if I did I would be hooked!) I have no idea what moved me from nausea to buying a can, it is all a blur of a time I call International Move, Phase 1. When I leave here my bag will be packed with Sirena and John West Tuna Tempters (sounds like a cat treat, tastes like a dream!) I am typing wondering how I became such a loser that I am blogging about canned tuna, but, it feels like a crime to keep this wonderful bit of Aussie-ness to myself!

If you have not discovered these little cans of yummy let me tell you why I love them:

1. They taste great
2. Low calorie/low sugar/ high protein
3. Portable and shelf stable- you can throw them in your bag and not have to steal your kids chicken nuggets, string cheese, Teddy Grahams, fish and chips, or PB&J b/c you are starving and have nothing to eat at the park/pool/zoo and you may fall over dead if you don't get to ingest something and passing out is not responsible parenting and will be frowned upon by other "mums!"
4. You just pull the lid off and seconds later you are eating!

In fact, I am eating a can right now. Jealous?

Here is a pic of the little beauties.

No comments:

Post a Comment