Friday, November 5, 2010

"Wow, I hope they don't PLAN on going home ALONE TONIGHT! "



Cousin Kevin exclaimed, somewhat naively, as the upteenth 20 something using Halloween as an excuse to come out in lingerie strutted past us on Halloween Eve (Sat) in downtown Sydney. I am not judging, if my body looked like that I would never wear clothes EVER, I would make Paris Hilton look humble. I suppose God knows what he is doing when he gives us our metabolism! I digress! Halloween has proved my own little pet theory once again. Love us, Hate us say what you want about us, but "na na na boo boo" you wanna be us. Yes even you Aussies, I know you do so don't deny it. I do not want to hear about you being #2 most livable country and the US is a shabby #4, you so want to be us. I had heard that Aussies do not celebrate Halloween, it is totally an "American thing." I heard. Well, of course as soon as we get here without our Jack O Lantern, fancy costumes and decor, Halloween stuff is everywhere in the stores. I PANIC! I can't have the poor kids with nothing for Halloween. I can't deprive them the American pleasure of Halloween! I stay up late scouring the web for just the right costume, I quick order Thomas The Train, pay crazy shipping to have them overnight to my Mom so she can quick like a bunny (average 16 days in transit) get them to me. She also sends proper trick or treat style candy.  The goods arrive. The  boys REFUSE to wear their Thomas Costumes absolutely positively REFUSE! These pics were of the one minute Car wore his costume, before thinking better of it. So, I try it on to see if they will follow, they cry, take it off NOOOOOOO Mommy TAKE IT OFF NOOOOO. Mike tries, not as many tears but no one is begging to put on their costume. I know they are cheap little numbers but it is THOMAS! So we try again a few days later, Colin last 3 minutes it seems promising, Mike puts him in his costume he says "I show Mommy I show Mommy" He shows Mommy and then says "TAKE! IT! OFFFFFFFFFF!!" We leave the costumes out so they can play with them casually, no takers. We scrap Halloween plans, not sure where they would have trick or treated anyway, since we STILL live in a hotel. We hit the zoo and on our way back pass through a very affluent 'hood, we see TONS of Trick or Treaters!
All you need for a good time, Monkey, Thomas Costume and a Blackberry
If I so much see a hint of a pilgrim or pumpkin pie I am going global with my theory!

1 comment: