Monday, February 14, 2011

Madama Butterfly in a Cirque World



We checked one off of our Sydney Bucket list this weekend. We went to an opera at THE Sydney Opera House. We went with 3 other couples, we got all dressed up(pics would have been great), headed to a fairly nice dinner at Guillaume at Bennelong, the Opera Houses signature restaurant (as if it being the Opera Houses rest. did not tell you all you need to know...great location, food and service below average even by Sydney standards) and then saw the show.  I have wanted to go to the opera since Julia Roberts, the rescued hooker, got all dressed up in a beautiful red dress and loaned jewels and got to fall in love with Richard Gere in Pretty Woman. For me this was not just a Sydney Bucket but a Life Bucket.  The singing was beautiful, and rich and emotional. The opera house is just so darn cool. The lead Madama Butterfly was all you would think an opera singer should be. I was REALLY bored. I kept thinking hurry up and just get on with it Madama Butterfly, off yourself so I can go home and get in my comfy clothes!!! I should have been able to connect some emotion to a woman having to give up her 3 y.o son, but even me, of cry because someone else cries(even strangers) fame,  did not shed a tear. I was shocked at myself! In addition, there was a groaning and or moaning and or snoring person behind me, so distracting!!! My summary is this...Opera is beautiful and lovely I am so glad I went but it is not a medium that I can connect with, if you got me season tickets for the Opera for my bday check the return policy. Give me The Cirque Love Show any day!

No comments:

Post a Comment