Sunday, January 15, 2012

GO NY??? GO YANKEES???

New york <em>yankees</em> chocolate/<em>pink</em> women's <em>cap</em> adjustable
If anyone Australian or otherwise can answer this question please do not hold back.
This is driving me bananas!
You may read this from the good ol' USA and think the world hates us.
The world may hate you if you are in, for example, Kentucky, Texas or any of the other 47 States in the Union.
But I can assure you the world down unda' loves loves loves you if you are in New York.
Why? Oh why? Are Aussies obsessed with NY Yankee hats?
Are there that many displaced Yankee fans at Balmoral Beach? To give you an idea of the Yankee hat saturation/situation, on average, 1 in 4 Aussies has a NY ball cap on at our beach. I see lots of these fancy style "flare" hats like this one in the picture, yesterday I even spotted 2 pink camouflage print Yankee hats.
I can't imagine there are that many Yankee fans so I have a few thoughts...
Do they know the NY logo on the hat is to represent a sports team?
Or did they just enjoy their stay in the Big Apple so much they want a hat that says NY?
Do they think the Yankee part is calling out the nickname for American's, Yanks?
Or maybe just like everyone else they love a winner and the Yankees are indeed winners? Really Really Really rich winners.
Do they wish their version of baseball called cricket was as fast paced and as exciting as baseball? Do they long to have a hot dog and Coke during the game instead of bikkies and tea?

To test my ideas I think I am going to start yelling..."Go Red Sox," every time I see one of these hats, if the person wants to go to fisty cuffs over my jeer I will know they are a true fan. If they stare blankly I will know they just loved their visit to the good ol' USA.

4 comments:

  1. Ha! That's funny. I never really noticed that but I think you're onto something with your theory. Aussies don't seem to follow American sport much. Now I have noticed that NO ONE wears baseball caps here in the UK. I'm thinking it is because there is no sun to keep out of one's eyes.
    Love the new header pic, btw. xx Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny!! I've been waiting for a new post but had no idea it would be about the Yankees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really funny and observant, Allison!! I think most Aussies wear them simply because they like the logo and think it looks cool and trendy! I'm sure there are some who know that it's the NY Yankees baseball cap but I think many just think it's a logo for NY generally!! I don't own one and have never been to NY. Next time I see an Aussie wearing one and I know the person I will ask why they are wearing the cap and what it stands for!! ;-) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny because we just had this conversation about 2 days ago. Our best guess is that they are not aware that it's a sports team, just think it's a cool NY thing. We just can't imagine all those people, and there are tons!, are really Yankees fans.

    ReplyDelete